Before I start to write various articles, I want to draw attention to one specific aspect of writing which is very important. This topic is the criteria chosen for a good review. I spent quite a lot time trying to determine the best possible measures for reviewing music, books, movies games and so on. As I developed my own set of criteria, I decided to share it with you.
What Is a Good Review?
Well, this question is entirely personal. One might say, a good review is an article which tells you whether the product is good or bad, worth trying or not. Another person will stick with an opinion that a good review never tells you spoilers and stripped of all the personal touch. In my opinion, a good review must have a high impact on a reader with the stable rating system and right criteria, but not to force them to love or hate a product. The main reason people read reviews is that they want to know worth this product money and time or not. A proper criteria choice is the crucial part of this kind of articles.
The Rating System
The rating system is essential for giving the reader a proper understanding of a product. I used a 5-star system for a long time, but later I changed my opinion and started to use the point system. I measure every single term in my criteria using numbers from 1 to 10. It’s hard to tell what’s the difference between “cover art” set to 5 and 6. But this system lets me diversify my ratings better although it is a little bit emotional-based.
For my reviews, I prefer to use 10-point system containing five positions.
Regarding books I use:
- Cover Art (Never judge a book by its cover!)
- Originality (Stands this book out or not?)
- Writing (This is a little bit complicated: try to answer questions like “was it hard to read and understand?”, “how was it translated?”, “was a word choice good enough?”, “do I like author’s style?”, etc.)
- Plot (How complex characters are? Is it boring reading? How can you describe characters relationships? What’s about ending?)
- Longevity (Will you reread it someday?)
For more detailed explanations you may read this article as well.
Music criteria are far more straightforward:
- Cover Art
- Music (Instrumental parts, lyrics, voice, etc.)
- Production (Overall quality of an album)
These lists are what I’m referring to while writing my reviews. You can develop your own reviews criteria as well. I hope that you’ll find my examples helpful for your researches!